Wendy Addison's Theatre of Dreams

No shopping at malls for me on Black Friday. Yesterday was Wendy Addison's first open house of the season...something you don't want to miss! If you haven't heard of Wendy, she is a gifted artist with an interest in art and antiques, whose work connects the magic from times past in her amazing creations.

I'll talk more about Wendy later... now it's time to enter the magical world of "Theatre of Dreams," Wendy's very special shop. Come on... let's go in...

The doors opened at 10:00 am sharp, and a crowd of anxious people entered. I was peering through the window, my heart racing with excitement. These stylish ladies were raring to go!

Being in Theatre of Dreams is sort of like being inside of a snow globe, with magical wonders everywhere you look. Almost like Alice In Wonderland.

Using antique materials found at flea markets, including old sheet music, tarnished tinsel, vintage crepe paper, Victorian scrap, and silver glass glitter, Wendy makes extraordinary pieces such as these beautiful handmade prize ribbons attached to a vintage dress form.

When I saw this custom made ribbon, I made a B line right across the shop. That's all I'm saying, because one of you may be getting one of these for Christmas. They are all printed by Wendy on vintage ribbon. Oh my...

The title of Wendy's 2009 Christmas line is "Tinsel and Sawdust." This phrase is an old way of describing the circus. I asked Wendy what inspired her to create the line. She loves animals and theatre, so the circus is a place of fantasy for Wendy.

These circus animals knocked my socks off! Created with vintage screen prints attached to cardboard die-cuts and adorned with antique and vintage trim. Amazing...

A parade of fanciful dressed animals, ready to adorn your tree or table for the holidays! Dogs and elephants, dromedaries and lions, horses and tigers, all form a peaceful kingdom in the shop.

Whimsical die-cut elephants in a glass case...

Lots of gift tags and boxes all using vintage images and a printing press. Love the vintage box they're in...

An old image of a Phrenology head that Wendy made into a fabulous prop...

Santos figures adorned with antique clothing...

I'm sure that many of you have seen Wendy's glitter creations made of German glass glitter. These are fun holiday-shaped ornaments...

glitter cones with vintage and antique accoutrements...


Wendy sells a colorful variety of glass glitter in these cute little containers...

Wendy is fascinated by hands this year, and they are appearing many ways, on gilded wreaths, covered with mirrors, and even sea shells.

These large crowns made of paper leaves sold quickly. I think this was the last one left.


So much magic at Theatre of Dreams, such as this mechanical theatre made by Wendy with all antique materials.

Everywhere you look in the shop, there are vintage pieces mixed in...

The light fixtures are beautiful...

The original Theatre of Dreams built by Wendy in 1994. Read below...


This amazing shadow-like fairy gleams from behind the counter...

Theatre of Dreams is located in the little town of Port Costa. Once a major shipping town, it is now a secluded area. Love this old Wheat Dock building next door to Theatre of Dreams.

Cute little building across the street.

Hope you enjoyed Wendy's Theatre of Dreams. If you are in the Bay Area, the open house continues today from 10:00 to 4:00, and the following:

December 4-5th from 10:00-4:00
December 11-12th from 10:00-4:00

Theatre of Dreams
#11 Canyon Lake Dr.
Port Costa, CA 94569
(510) 787-2164

While you're there, take a tour at Wendy's workshop and get a glimpse the magic in progress. If you can't make it, you can find some of Wendy's creations here, and make sure and visit her blog here for her latest updates.

Comments

melissa davis said…
How beautiful!! So many of my friends have gone and I still haven't! Next time for sure!! ;)
Unknown said…
Oh my goodness Lynn! WHat a magical little place. It looks incredible. Your posts make me want to move to SF sometimes! This is one of those posts. Have a "dreamy" day!
xoxo
Judith~
FrenchBlue said…
OH ME OH MY!!

Lynn,

Thank you for the walk through the looking glass with you!!! I can feel the magic through the screen! I believe Wendy is really a real fairy~~

Xo's
Janet
Anonymous said…
Hi there- I really resonate with you all- I've been a shopper at PHB for years- we live in Naples, FL but sometimes at Tahoe and come on up when u can- you all are marvelous!
martha t
Thank you for the magical tour. One year I hope to make it there, what a magic weaver Wendy is.
xo Lidy
What a MAGICAL place!!! I'm gonna try and visit the next time I go visit my son at school. He's not too far from Theatre of Dreams!!!
Thank you for sharing this amazing place with us :)
This is one seriously creative person! thanks for sharing another talent Lynn.....did you say antique ribbon? I am just too far away.
I love the name, Theatre of Dreams and the theatre that Wendy made and the explanation of it. What imagination she has and what a wonderful shop. If only I lived near but the U.K. is a bit far away for a visit !! XXXX
WOW!
This was fun! It reminded me of French, Monty Python, and design wrapped into one shop! Loved the silouhette of the Fairie...Don't you just love creative people??????! Great post!
Enzie Shahmiri said…
What a wonderful fun place - thanks for sharing so many photos. It's like taking a virtual tour

Popular Posts